First Christian Church was established in Carmi on June 4, 1851 with twelve charter members. For the next 120 years the church met on the corner of Walnut and Robinson Streets. Dedicated members served and sacrificed to keep the mission of the church alive and vital. In 1970 the congregation moved into a new building at the corners of Plum Street and Bohleber Drive. Today the vision First Christian continues – to live and proclaim the truth in Jesus’ name.
First Christian shares a common heritage with more than 6,000 churches worldwide known as the Christian Churches / Churches of Christ. The principle of this movement is to restore today's church life as dictated by the teachings of the New Testament. Although we exist apart from any external authority or control, we do participate with other churches in many projects and programs that exalt Jesus Christ and spread the Gospel.